Friday, February 11, 2011

TGIF


It is Friday. The day probably has varied significance, depending on circumstance, but Fridays have traditionally been my day off. And for me, it has always been a day of writing. Over the years, I've spent the bulk of this day writing my guts out. I hope to do so again today.

Some years, when I've had a book contract to fulfill and a deadline to meet, I've used Fridays to write whole chapters, or even entire sections. But now, with nothing looming on the horizon, I have free reign to write what I want. I can also pull out phone numbers and call editors, or write inquiry emails, or stuff envelopes with manuscripts and take them to the post office.

It's Friday. And I plan to work on the following today:

A story entitled "The Draft Dodger" that I began nearly ten years ago. I've rewritten it many times, recently tossed out all but the first four pages, and now will begin again until I get it right (tone, voice, pace, etc.).

I'm writing an editor at Brazos Press, following up with a magazine editor, working on a new book proposal.

I'll probably write a couple of poems to my wife (for Valentine's Day?). I seem to be able to create really weird and wacky love poems around mock holidays and VD is one of my favorites.

TGIF . . .

No comments: