Friday, February 25, 2011

Grant Writing


Over the past decade I've written many successful grants for the congregation . . . more than $125,000 all told. It's not a "huge" number, but as far as church goes, a respectable total, as grants associated with religious work are tough to come by.

Evidently, my prowess with the pen has also elicited an interest from others, as I've had three requests in the past month alone to write various grant proposals for other non-profit or religious-based organizations. I'm taking up the pen for one of these, but have respectfully declined the others . . . and I've yet to write a new grant for Calvary this year, but certainly plan to. I'm also anticipating a successful grant-writing expedition on both counts.

I do wish, however, that grant writing could me more straightforward. I'm eager for the day when I can write to a foundation and tell the story simply:

Dear Friends,
We are low on funds. In fact, we are living on peanut butter and stale bread. We'd really like to have a big sweaty pile of your available cash . . . as we understand you are in the business of giving money away to weak-kneed organizations such as our own. Our vision: to spend your money. God knows we need it. I mean, what are you gonna do with it? Invest it in tax free municipal bonds? Purchase pork bellies? Let me tell you, we've got plans over here. (See enclosed crayola drawings which our children created featuring our proposed solar panels and geo-thermal heating units, a project we are calling: Hot for Jesus.)

Wouldn't you like to fund this? God knows we can't. Please, for the love of God and all that is decent, send us some cash.

The Lord bless you today.

Anyone else want to hire me to write their grants?

No comments: