Thursday, February 17, 2011

Book Signings


Photo: a portion of my John Updike collection, shelved.



In his lifetime, John Updike wrote more than sixty titles. I have, now, forty-two of his works, including some that are difficult to find, and many in first edition. These titles occupy a couple of lengthy shelves at home.

I have enjoyed my pursuit of Updike's work and have as a goal to possess all of his titles eventually, especially in used book form. I enjoy trying to find these gems in the rough, in part, because of the handwritten notes I discover inside their pages. I like a used book because it has a history, and has been handled and read by others. I get to resurrect the book and make it part of my own library.

Among my favorite book inscriptions in my Updike collection are these:

To Mason, I thought this book would remind of your trip to NYC. Enjoy. Love, Cheryl. (Inscribed on the flyleaf of Just Looking, Random House, 1989 . . . one of the few Updike books published outside of the Knopf imprint.)

Mary Rose Peterson with love from Grandma and Grandpa Nibby, August 5, 1992
(Inscribed on the flyleaf of A Child's Calendar, Knopf, 1965 text by Updike and children's illustrations by Nancy Burkert.)

Poems by a Literary Mr. Sunshine
(Newspaper clipping/article from the Sunday, June 17, 2001 edition of The Philadelphia Inquirer, yellowed, found inside first edition of this, Updike's final poetry collection, Knopf, 2001.)

For you to read to Thoreau, Merry Christmas, Bill from Ralph & Corinne
(Inscription on wooden Chinese book mark discovered inside The Twelve Terrors of Christmas, Pomegranate Communications, 1999, with drawings by Edward Gorey.)

I enjoy finding these gifts and inscriptions to others; it's like opening up a stranger's underwear drawer and finding a love letter. (At least, that's where I hide mine.) Eventually, I'll own Updike in full, and I'll also own a small portion of other lives that have cast off these titles. Until then, I'll keep looking and collecting.

No comments: