Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Reading Between the Lines


Tomorrow I'll be spending, perhaps, a couple of hours waiting in a line. Toward that end, I'm bringing plenty of reading material with me for the duration.

I've given this plenty of thought. I'll bring the latest issue of The New Yorker along. And I'm also bringing a copy of The Book That Changed My Life, which is a collection of essays/interviews with authors about the books that impacted them.

Reading while I wait isn't my favorite pastime, but it beats getting a colonoscopy or a root canal. I'd rather be at home, feet propped up on the sofa, eating grapes, while my wife fans me with a flamingo feather . . . but this will have to do. I also plan to complete my sermon outline for Sunday while I'm in the line, and I'm sure I'll get looks. But perhaps I can be a witness, too.

"Hey, mister, what are you working on?"
"Sermon outline."
"A what-a-line??"
"A message for the church. I invite you to attend Calvary this weekend. Join me."
"I'm not a joiner."
"You don't have to join."
"I don't like organized religion."
"That's okay, we're very disorganized."
"You just want my money."
"I don't, but God does. And your money will go toward ice and snow removal."
"Is that one of your mission projects?"
"Now it is."
"I don't think I could join any organization that would have you as a pastor."
"That's okay, half the congregation doesn't want me either. You can join that half of the outfit."
"Is that why you're weeping?"
"No, it's because I'm standing in this line next to you."


No comments: