Sunday, February 6, 2011

LOL :)


For months I had been seeing LOL :) at the end of facebook entries and emails. I had no idea what this abbreviation was supposed to mean . . . and now there are so many other abbreviations that have become part of our "language" and "texting" (which contain no "text" or "context" at all) it is difficult to keep up. An editor recently told me that he has even started seeing these abbreviations in formal letters, book proposals, and "professional" correspondence. These abbreviations can't be a good sign for the English language.

What is LOL supposed to mean?

To me, it could mean a great many things.

For example, the state of Illinois ought to adopt LOL :) as their official abbreviation. After all, that state's official claim is LOL (Land of Lincoln).

I could start singing all of my letters LOL (Likes Old Licorice).

Or, I could send me wife a letter signed LOL (Lots Of Love). But then, she might not known what LOL means and think I'm telling her to LOL (Leave Out Lightbulbs), in which case, the house would get rather dark. She might also misunderstand and think that I'm saying LOL (Looking for Love), in which case she might say, "Don't be ridiculous" or "You can look all you want, fella, but you'll never find anyone else who will was your gym shorts."

No, LOL :) leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't say anything and, since everyone is using it, it's much like saying "How are you?" or "Whazup?" Eventually someone has to coin a new abbreviation that can catch one. I've been trying out a few at home . . . but see what you think of these:

WTR (Where's the Remote?)
UTC (Under the Couch)
WIT (Why's It There?)
DAM (Don't Ask Me)
DIA (Did I Ask?)
YYD (Yes You Did!)
SAT (Sorry About That)
YAI (You're An Idiot)
YIK (Yes I Know)
SAM (Stop Asking Me)
LMU (Let's Make Up)
NWB (No Way Buster!)
ACO (Awww, Come On!)
WOK (Well, OK)
TMG (That's My Girl!)
DPM (Don't Press, Mister!)
LML (Let's Make Love)
GMD (Go Make Dinner)

Please let me know if any of these catch on at your house!

1 comment:

Bonnie Wolfe said...

Hysterical... great post. Or should I say lol?