Sunday, February 27, 2011

Out of This World


I was elated to read another of Mary Roach's warped science books. This time the treat was her latest: Packing For Mars. In a nutshell, this book details all of the various pitfalls and problems of space exploration, particularly as these challenges involve the human body and NASA's unrelenting pursuit of studying the effects of Zero-Gravity on bodily functions (#1, #2, and also the question: is sex possible in outer space?).

Ah . . . but anyone familiar with Roach's quirky backlist such as Boink (the inner-workings of sex), Stiff (what happens to the human body after death), and Spook (exploring the questions of life after death) know what a treat her books are. However, if you are put-off by frank scientific and humorous explorations about bodily excretions and human sexuality . . . for the love of Mike, don't read Packing for Mars.

This is the kind of book that will offend millions, that will make many people blush or hide the title under their mattress so their kids won't find it. Others will be calling their Senators and librarians requesting that this book be banned. Naturally, I loved it. In fact, I wish I had written Packing for Mars. It's just my type of weird, esoteric, warped brand of science written by a woman who knows her secretions.

It also makes me realize that we are spending millions of our tax dollars on NASA scientific studies that involve human excrements. Every astronaut has been a guinea pig, and no diaper, catheter or condom has gone unturned. (Literally!)

I enjoyed Packing For Mars. I learned a lot from it--scientifically and otherwise. But it's not for the faint of heart or the easily-offended.

I, however, cannot wait for Roach's next book. And I'll likely read it in the bathroom.

No comments: