Friday, February 18, 2011

Private Thoughts


At various junctures of my life, I've kept a personal journal detailing experiences and thoughts. It's been years, now, since I've made any new entries, as I finally came to the realization that I was working out my stresses and frustrations in sit-ups and bench presses and writing my thoughts in stories, poems and novels--even sermons--among others.

Still, I do have private ponderings that go unrecorded, and I thought I'd work out a few of these on this blog. This will also give readers a sneak peak into my mind and may help a few decide if, indeed, I have one.

Thought # 1
Why can't I bring myself to paint the canvases stashed in my home office?
I've had these canvases and paints for years now and have been telling myself that I'll take up the brush on some sunny afternoon and create. I've done it in the past. But I'm stymied. Too many ideas, too little time? And besides, my wife insists she won't pose nude for me.

Thought # 2
Why has God called me to be a United Methodist pastor?
This is still a great mystery to me . . . and for years I've been asking God to get someone else. But the finger keeps pointing in my direction (usually index finger) and every few years I receive an indication that God has a sense of humor. I'm the biggest butt in God's joke book, but that's okay as long as I don't covet my neighbor's ass.

Thought # 3
Why do 10% of the readers of this blog live in the Netherlands?
I'm not certain, but I like the Dutch. My wife, for example, usually pays for her own meals (I insist on it) and last summer I started carving some shoes out of an old piece of walnut I found in the backyard. I'm also carving some dentures, for later. I think the Dutch like me because I'm not a threat to visit their fair country.

Thought # 4
Isn't there more to life?
No.

No comments: