Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snow Daze


You're probably reading this indoors. Like me, you're likely at home, snowed in. But I'm not complaining. I've already fought the good fight yesterday at Wal-Mart and wrestled a loaf of marble rye bread away from an old lady. I purchased the last gallon of milk. I have 150 pounds of potatoes. And I'm ready to write all day . . . even if the power goes down.

A snow day is a great day to write, my friends. Although I'll be at home all day with my wife, she'll be writing, too. We might even have conversation. My son might awaken around 3 p.m. for breakfast. He will grunt, I will nod, and we will acknowledge each other's existence with a wave of the hand and a "How ya' doin'?" Later in the day, I will ask him if he would like to shoot a game of billiards (he will not); I will ask him if he would like to watch a movie (he will laugh at me). Perhaps, I might make overtures to my wife. Her responses will be much the same, only her laughter will be more protracted and evil. She will request that I shovel our 120 yard-long driveway. I will pass this request to my son. He will grunt and take a nap.

No . . . a snow day is a great day to write. And I have plenty to write about. I've got novels in progress, several stories in various stages, book proposals I'm still developing, a fair amount of poems that need revision, and any number of essays I could begin, revise, or complete. Today might be the day.

I'm also expecting phone calls or email responses from a former New York agent and I'll likely hear from at least one editor online today regarding some other submissions.

A snow day is a treat. Normally I'd be up early, writing before sunrise, and then hitting the keys again before I go to bed late at night. But today is a snow day . . . and I have miles to go before I sleep (Robert Frost).

Stay warm!

No comments: