Sunday, February 13, 2011

Poems to My Wife


I could go out and purchase a Valentine's day card for my wife, but why start now? Instead of purchasing a poem for $5.95 that some high-paid Hallmark employee wrote in a laboratory, I've been writing my wife original poetry for decades. It's these original poems, in fact, that form the basis of our relationship and have vaulted me into her heart and made me a legend in my own household. This Valentine's day, I've produced a sheaf of these babies and plan to lay 'em on her tomorrow when she comes home, late, from work. I doubt we'll end up in bed together, but I could see us watching a rerun of American Pickers and splitting a caffeine free diet Pepsi. We might even go crazy and work on removing the wallpaper in the downstairs hallway. Her choice. I cater to the whims of my wife.

Still, this is a poem that I hope will really speak to her and nudge her gizzard. This is the first of many and should produce some positive result on this love-fest weekend.

Quickie

Regarding those singers who brag of
"Doing it all night long."
You have a headache,
I have five minutes.
Honey, they're playing our song.

No comments: