Monday, February 21, 2011

Rainy Days and Mondays


Today echoed the old Carpenter's lyrics: "Rainy Days and Mondays always get me down." And I would have been in a funk all day if I hadn't received some good news at the top of the morning.

Fortunately, I received word this morning that my essay, "The Pileated Woodpecker", had been accepted for publication (thanks, Christopher) and later a second e-mail confirmation that a batch of my poems (all about dead authors) would be seeing publication in a spring 2012 journal.

Okay, not a bad way to start the day. "The Pileated Woodpecker" was an essay I wrote some eighteen months ago. It's gone through a lengthy cycle of rejections, probably over a dozen "get losts!" or "drop deads!" before finally landing in print. But I knew when I wrote the essay that it was too good to end up in my closet stashed in a box. It was one of those pieces that spoke to me and the words found their way onto the page quite easily. It's one of those essays that I hope I can use in a book some day . . . part memoir, part ornithological, part poem . . . one of my most creative pieces of writing ever and I'm proud of it.

So . . . Monday. Bring on the rain. I have phone calls to make at home tonight (planning a Good Friday worship service) and then afterwards I'll be hammering away at the keys. I've got more essays inside of me that need a little TLC and I've got a full pot of coffee heating up right now. Let it rain. Tomorrow is Tuesday.

No comments: