Monday, January 4, 2010

Squeal Like a . . . Mouse


Many writers are inspired by mice. Evidence? There are a great many "mouse movies" out there. How about The Green Mile & Mr. Jingles (written by Stephen King)? How about Stewart Little (written, of course, by E.B.White, author of Charlotte's Web)? Or who can forget those "big mouse movies" of the 1970s starring Michael Jackson: Willard and Ben?

Still, I must confess I am not inspired by mice crawling up my leg while I am writing late at night. Sure, the little guys are warm, furry, and okay . . . even a bit cute. But still, I have to crunch 'em. Might even use my bare hands and hope they don't bite! C R U N C H.

We have a cat, of course, but she is fourteen years old and she has no claws. She brings the mice up to the master bedroom at night, drops the furry critters on the floor, meows, and then attempts to catch them again as they scurry under the bed. My wife always squirms and whispers at two a.m.: "If that mouse crawls under the sheets, I'm going to have a heart attack."

Of course, I have to brush her leg so I can hear her squeal. I might even make a little sound like, "eeeeeekkkkkkk." Oh, just so softly in her pillow in the middle of the night.

Yes, this is where horror stories are born boys-n-girls . . . in the very real fears we carry with us into the night. Late at night. Late. While writing. While trying to sleep. Eeeeekkkkk!

Wanna sleep over at our house? Believe me, right now our house is scarier than Neverland. Scarier, even, than Michael Jackson!

No comments: