Friday, January 29, 2010

Getting Here


Last night Becky asked me: "Do you still have that book--What Got You Here Won't Get You There?"

"Sure,"I said, "It's one of the most helpful books I've read in the past decade."

"I want to read it again," she said. "I think it could be helpful in my leadership class."

And so, now Marshall Goldsmith's book is perched on our living room table atop a disorganized pile of magazines such as Better Homes & Gardens, The New Yorker, and National Geographic. I've already begun reading it again. Something tells me I'll be reading some of my wife's textbooks also. If I see them sitting around the house, I'll read 'em.

And now that Becky is taking evening classes again (for the next 2 1/2 years), there's really nothing to do at night except read and write anyway. I watch very little television (with the exception of The Big Bang Theory and Andy Griffith Show reruns . . . maybe an occasional M*A*S*H or some Travel channel or Food channel stuff).

I'm grateful for books like Goldsmith's, which hold their value over time and are great books to read. Especially when you're lonely.

No comments: