Saturday, January 16, 2010

Phil Gulley on Leadership


Last Thursday I was invited to attend a County Leadership event/dinner. Pastor/author Phil Gulley was the keynote speaker. I've read all of Gulley's books (even the good ones!) and have always enjoyed his television program (he's an Emmy winner) and his Indianapolis Monthly column. We are fortunate to have him nearby.

Gulley spoke on leadership, of course, and did a fine job of weaving some compelling and heart-warming illustrations into the mix. By the time he had finished, I was ready to go out and lead the world to greatness.

Trouble is, I've never been the type of charismatic leader that people would want to follow. My wife, for example, didn't want to follow my lead back to the car that night, though I offered to hold her hand and drag her along like a dog. My son will have nothing to do with my leadership; rather, he is currently being led by the characters in the Jackass movies and some Scandanavian kids known as The Dudesons. My daughter might follow my leadership on certain occasions at Ball State, but only if I send an accompanying check to cover the cost of room and board.

This leaves me with a congregation of people who see all of my faults and weaknesses. I doubt any of them will be following me to Jonestown or Waco. Most would not follow me across the street to buy a screwdriver from Lowe's.

Oh, sure, there are glimpses. And from time to time I get the idea that some people actually follow this blog.

But then Rome wasn't built in a day, either. And neither were those huts in Jonestown.

No comments: