Saturday, January 9, 2010

1000 Blogs!

1000!


I've been following my blog count for a few weeks now, and determined that I have now written over 1000 blogs in the past three years. That's nearly a blog a day. I can't remember my own middle name, much less the details of these various blog entries.


I'm not sure what to make of this blogging phenomenon. I'm sure that some day blogs will go the way of the Doe-Doe bird and the Passenger Pigeon; blogging will become as extinct as my grandmother's coffee cake.


Not too long in the distant future, someone will invent a new paradigm for communication and the world will change again.


Back in the mid 1970s, a fellow named Alvin Toffler (if I remember correctly!) wrote a book entitled Future Shock. It was a huge best-seller. The basic thesis of this book was that soon our culture would be swamped with information, so much information, in fact, that people would be inundated and overwhelmed with words, facts, figures to the point that no one would be able to differentiate between fact and fiction, or between what is true or false, or between what is vital and what is, simply, fluff.


Welcome to our world, Mr. Toffler.


This overload of information affects us all. We have to pick and choose what we read, what we listen to, who we listen to, what we watch, who we watch, and the amounts of information we accept or reject.


And me? I'm still trying to get my kids to listen to me. The more they learn, the louder I have to shout to get attention. My wife stopped listening to me years ago. Now, I just sit on the couch and grunt. I emit basic animal sounds which inform my wife that I am hungry, or thirsty, or desirous of other affections.


We live in a fast-paced, yet Neolithic world . . . and I have returned to the animal basics.

No comments: