Monday, January 25, 2010

Best American Stories


One of the books I received for Christmas (and have now read) is The Best American Short Stories, edited by Alice Sebold. This annual collection has some fine stories--and most by relatively unknown, new, or young writers. There were only a few stories by notables such as Annie Proulx or Alice Sebold (author of The Lovely Bones, now a major motion picture).

I always enjoy this series of books, and manage to purchase a few of the titles each year; the bibliography alone, found in the back of the book, features a list of national magazines with addresses and editors names, and is worth the sticker price alone. Well, it is to me anyway.

I did also note that a couple of the stories featured in this year's anthology were taken from author's blogs or websites. Does that mean I can start submitting my blogs as "published" material? Interesting question.

Having said that, I have been submitting much more material for publication on web sites of late, and this is certainly a new outlet for writers like me who cannot gain the respect of those who read books and magazines.

Well, but I'll keep trying. Maybe I should look into some new publishing formats . . . such as writing books on paper plates that have been stapled together, or on tin cans, or perhaps on the sides of my 1991 Caprice station wagon tires now that I don't have hub caps. That would be certain to gain some attention, and that way I could say that my writing actually made people dizzy.

No comments: