Monday, January 25, 2010

Can You Hear Me Now?


Over the weekend I've been engaged in communication on a scale never before seen in the likes of this household: emails, phone calls, mailings, websites, and much, much more. Essentially, I've been in conversation with the dozens of writers around the country--in places as far reaching as Washington state and as close to home as Chicago, IL--who have contributed to the upcoming Ultimate Christian Living (to be published and distributed nationally on March 1).

Some of these people have invited me to their home states. One guy in Arizona even volunteered to arrange hotel accommodations and limo service for me if I would be willing to do a book store/speaking tour. I'm not sure about the tour thing, but the sunshine sounds wonderful. I hear the sun actually shines in other states! And I hear that elsewhere in this great land, people are actually healthy and warm and free!

I also had conversation with another gentleman, a well-respected medical doctor in Houston, who has offered to help promote this book in some venues that are both remarkable and unique. I hope we will meet some day and I can actually enjoy some sunshine!

And, yes, I've had contact with folks in places like Alabama, and Florida, and even Mount Airy, North Carolina (Andy Griffith's home town...you oughta' visit!). And in every one of these places, believe me, the sun is shining!

Which brings me back to Indiana and the question: why do I live here? Why do I continue to subject myself to the god-forsaken, gray-skied, boring-terrained landscape of Hoosierland? Maybe it's just January talking. But for some reason, these other places just seem so much more exciting and bright and the people I'm talking to actually have a lilt in their winter-voices.

I guess that's why editors live in Indiana. Somebody has to do the dirty work. And Indiana is probably about as dirty and glum as you can get.

No comments: