Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Banned Books


Now and again, it is important for me to show my resolve and read a banned book. One of the young adult books that has come under attack (at least it was in the 1970s) was Judy Blume's title, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. I picked up a used copy of this book and read it in a single sitting a few nights back.

This title, which came under attack by Christian fundamentalists (which is commonly the "group" that wants to ban most books in America!) deals with many themes of young female adolescence: the search for self, friendship, questions about God, menstruation, and self-awareness.

Judy Blume's book does not shy away from these themes, and the dialogue and prayers spoken by young Margaret are compelling and honest.

I certainly wouldn't want a steady diet of these YA books (particularly those dealing with young girl's issues) but at least I know that I can suggest this book when the questions arise.

Now, I hope to counter by reading a YA novel for boys. I've already tackled Robinson Crusoe, but that book was written in the seventeenth century, when boys didn't mature until they were forty-seven years old. And besides, it's been many a moon since I met a cannibal.

No comments: