Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Webinar


Yesterday I participated in a most unique conference call with a publisher. It was called a "webinar". Here's how it worked.

I signed up to go online for this seminar. I received a "log in" number and password. At the assigned time, I logged into the web site, submitted my password, and then was instructed to dial a phone number so I could hear the presenter's voice. What I was watching on the computer was the presenter's powerpoint presentation as she spoke. Fascinating.

What made it all the more fascinating was another man's voice that I kept hearing on my phone (I don't know if others could hear this guy). He kept cursing, mumbling, lambasting the presenter. Eventually another voice came onto the line and asked him to "Shut up!"

Technology is a wonderful thing when it works well. But sometimes we also need the human touch to keep people in line.

Oh, and one last thing. I sat next to Governor Mitch Daniels today at breakfast. Can't wait to see Harold Leininger so I can tell him I ate from the governor's plate while the governor was speaking at the podium. I won't wash my mouth for a week. He selected a very tasty donut. And I don't think he even knew I had eaten it.

No comments: