Monday, May 18, 2009

Man of Steele



This past Sunday our guest speaker was Ned Steele. Ned had a great message . . . but I felt that I didn't show him enough hospitality. So, I thought I'd write him a poem. And, since I didn't have a photo of Ned, I had to imagine what he might look like in a couple of years after St. Mark's in Bloomington has their way with him. Enjoy.






Man of Steele



By Todd Outcalt




You’ve probably read of the Superman
And his amazing, spectacular pecs,
But “super” is just a relative term
As to whom he's standing next.

See, Superman ain’t so “super” if
He can’t preach a decent act,
And he surely ain’t no Superman
If he has no polish or tact.

And Superman has to wear a cape
And a large “S” on his chest,
But I know a Superman named “Ned”
Who is D.S. of the West.

It’s true he never wears a sock
And he doesn’t need vestments of color,
But Ned is super in many a style
And you’d better believe it, brother!

He’s more “super” than Superman
‘Cause Clark Kent never preaches,
And though the Superman can fly
Have you heard the crap he teaches?

Sure he’ll talk to Jimmy and Lois
And give them a lesson or two,
But Ned is super to all he meets
And a friend to more than a few.

They say that Superman saves the world
And keeps his nose to the wheel,
But for my money I’d rather have
The other man of Steele.




2 comments:

Katie Kermeen Swisher said...

What an awesome tribute! Ned will love this...

Michelle Kallock Knight said...

Oh my, so glad the dude is not in charge of your next appointment! You are brave or something!