Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Business Cards


I have a formidable stack of business cards. I have cards from people who sell cars, carpet and appliances. I have cards from people who sell me services. I have cards from people who just want me to remember their names.

And I have my own business cards, too. But mine are boring.

The most interesting business card I ever read about was author Robert Fulgham's. His cards had his name and a simple line that read, Philosopher. I like that. I want a card like that.

A few years ago, I printed up a batch of business cards that identified me as a "pastor, writer, and speaker" but this often threw people for a loop. One guy looked at my card and said, "Writer? Now what does that mean?"

I tried to explain that it meant I wrote--articles, books, etc. But he couldn't wrap his feeble mind around it. A writer, you say? You write stuff. What the heck does that mean? You write. You mean, like writing with words

I gave up on identifying myself as a writer after that. I tossed those 500 cards in the trash.

But some day I'm going to get a new batch of cards. I'm going to think of something cutting-edge. Like:

Todd Outcalt
ShamWow Representative

Or
T.E. OUTCALT
Any way you want it . . .

Or
Todd O.
Just Groovin'

No comments: