Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Summer Reading


I've already started thinking about my summer reading program. In particular: which cheesy, low-life, hottie-tottie romance paperbacks do I want to buy at a used bookstore for fifty cents? What mystery/crime/suspense novels can hold my attention for three hours? What books can I read/destroy/and otherwise abuse at the same time?

This year I have my eye on a some John Grisham. I've read five or six of his novels (earlier ones) but lost track about six years ago, and he's written quite a number since then. Some Raymond Chandler would be nice. And I've got a Dorothy Sayers paperback collection of her mystery stories that might find its way into my suitcase.

One thing's for certain. I'm not taking along any theology, any Bible commentary, or anything that is remotely "religious" or "Christian". I'm bored enough as it is. (Though, I will admit, I've once again learned that the Bible is filled with lots of odd, humorous, strange, and sexually-charged stories, so much so that the Good Book has once again grabbed my attention through the Nasty Book sections.)

But I need to read something I can toss in the trash. You know, the kind of stuff I actually write and see in the dumpster.

No comments: