Friday, May 8, 2009

Buying Books


This week I have read a couple of articles and also participated in a discussion regarding the demise of the bookstore. Two weeks ago I read that Harper Collins is closing Collins (that's like Baskin & Robbins deciding to close Baskin and offer only 25 flavors instead of 50). And this week I read that Walden Books is filing for bankrupcy and will soon be closing many of their stores. Hundreds of independent stores are closing their doors for good, too.

I have always tried to support bookstores in many ways. Whenever possible, I've always purchased my books instead of checking them out of the library (nothing wrong with libraries, though, they buy books, too.) And I've always tried to support independent sellers as I can.

Ironically, there is much being written about the demise of writing and reading (at least in traditional forms). And yes, things are changing rapidly. Every writer's contract now includes what could be dozens of others publishing options and rights. There are digital rights, print on demand rights, media rights, movie and/or tv rights, and other new stuff I've never heard of. But somebody out there could potentially want those words.

I just hope there are people tomorrow who will know how to, or want to, read the words people are writing today.

No comments: