Saturday, May 16, 2009

Promotional Writing


One of the newest fads that publishers are using now is asking their authors to write promotional copy for their respective books. It's a fascinating concept. Here's how it works. The editor calls and says something like, "We'd like you to write a series of promotional copy that can tell the reader why you wrote your book, or what you like about your book, or what the reader can find in your book. And we also need a photo of you." (Here's the only photo of me I could find when I GOOGLED myself.)

Other publishers are asking their writers to blog. Twittering has even entered the picture now. (But seriously, who on God's-green-earth would want to read a boring twitter from Yours Truly?) (And what would I twitter?):

Made a pot of coffee. Yum...

Cleaned up cat puke, tastes like chicken.

Helped my son with Algebra.

Ate can of Pork-n-beans for dinner.

Wrote promotional copy for book.

Wrote more promotional copy.

Ate can of corn for dessert.

Two church meetings. Home now.

More corn.

Said hello to daughter.

Coffee.

Wrote new chapter for book proposal.

Corn.

Beans.

Cat puke.

Said goodnight to wife.

More writing.


See what I mean? I'm just too boring to be a writer!

No comments: