Saturday, May 23, 2009

Out of the office reply . . .


Friday was interesting. I had an early breakfast with a friend, completed some chores around the house, made some phone calls, completed a couple of church presentations, made some more phone calls, and then settled down for some writing. I eventually completed a book proposal that I was so excited about, I had to drop it to some of my editor friends for review.

Trouble was, none of these editors were in the office (Memorial day weekend?)

Without exception, all of my emails came back with the reply: Out of the office . . .

Which, of course, shifted my mind into warped gear. From now on, I'm going to set my computer to reply to all emails with one of the following prompts:

Todd is not on the computer right now; he has a life; not much of one, but a life nevertheless. He is probably sitting in the office at church eating a donut (have you called there? Ask for "the big silly-looking guy").

There is a strong possibility of a firm maybe that Todd is away from his desk currently. He has been fighting the rickets with lemon-filled donuts and would appreciate your understanding and patience as he tries to lick this dreaded disease.

Yeah, Todd ain't available to receive your paltry little email, but so what? I mean, is this attachment really necessary? He's an important man, doing important things, like holding the hands of the sick, feeding creme of wheat to children, and humming "Amazing Grace" on his kazoo. Try again in two weeks.

No comments: