Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Going Hollywood


Over the weekend, I shot three "info-mercial" videos that my various publishers want to put on the web. Evidently this is a new fad: having authors talk about their books. One of these is supposed to show up on YouTube in the next month.

Shooting these videos, I felt like Billy Mays, the pitchman who sells everything from OxyClean to kitchen knives. I was outside of my element, for sure, but I tried.

Hi, my name's Todd Outcalt, and have I got a deal for you! If you are planning a wedding, have been considering a wedding, or have ever dreamed of having a wedding . . . then you'll want to buy my book at full price! This book will not only save you money, it will save your life. Heck, you might even decide that the guy you are hoping to marry is really nothing but a dead-beat and you might decide to kick his sorry butt all the way to a curb in Alabama. That's what this book can do for you! Save you heartache, time . . . AND MONEY! So make sure you buy the book. Heck, buy two. 'Cause we can't do this all day!

See what I mean? The longer I talked, the louder my voice became. By the time we were done filming, I was screaming at the top of my lungs like a Pentecostal preacher calling the congregation forward to drink cyanide-laced Koolaid. I don't even yell at my son that loudly, and now this stuff is going to be out there on the Internet attracting "customers".

My only hope is that the vid will go "viral" and people will tune in because they will be laughing and me and asking all their friends, "Have you seen that YouTube vid of that weirdo in Brownsburg who is trying to sell a wedding book?"

Who knows . . . maybe I'll be the next William Hung. All I have to do now is learn how to sing, "She Bangs".

1 comment:

Michelle Kallock Knight said...

The question is - did you film your video before or after your trip to the dentist?