Friday, May 29, 2009

Leading


A little tome that held my attention for a day was The Art of Leadership, by Don Walters--a classic business/leadership book published back in the mid 80's. It's a book that is still relevant for today, and Don doesn't overwhelm the reader with a bunch of facts and figures. He just states his case for simplicity in leadership and what this means. His lists are great, too.

My first leadership positions were probably in high school. I was a co-captain of the basketball team (big whoop!), was president of the Letterman's Club (another big whoop!) and also was one of two from the high school sent to Hoosier Boys State (okay, not bad).

I learned last week that another distinguished member of our congregation was also at Hoosier Boys State in 1978 (the summer hot as hell). Last weekend, he and I met to sing to our wives and children. We sang the Hoosier Boys State theme song, which amazed and astounded them.

Indiana is our home we come from far and near
From north and south and east and west
So hear our lusty cheer!
Hoosier Boys State. Hoosier Boys State!
We are one and all for you . . . etc. etc. etc.

Singing that song (I sing it every day, are you kidding me) reminded me that it is a prerequisite to have fun while leading. That's why, while at Hoosier Boys State, I created hundreds of posters for my candidate for Governor: Ignatz Kaputnick. No kidding. He got three write-in votes.

Now that's leadership! When you can create a fictional candidate and get votes, you've got clout.

No comments: