Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Writing from the Trunk


Last night I stayed up late and read for about four hours, and one of the titles was John Grisham's new collection of stories: Ford County Stories. This is Grisham's first short story collection, and I believe all of these are originals, as I did not see any indication that these stories had been previously published in magazines. I'm not a huge Grisham fan (although I do have a surprising number of his books on my shelves). I do usually take a Grisham novel to the beach with me, however, just so I can toss it in the trash after I've read it.

But I was taken with the paragraph that Grisham included in the flyleaf of his new book.

Here, Grisham recounts his experience with his first book, A Time to Kill. Evidently, when his first book was published, he purchased 1000 copies, loaded them into his trunk, and attempted to hand sell them at libraries, reading groups and conventions. Few people bought a book and Grisham found himself in debt, loaded down with copies of his own book. And as he states, that first experience taught him that there was a world of difference between the writing of books and the selling of books. Wow, can I relate to that experience! That's why I decided a long time ago that I would just buy the books myself and give them away. Few people were going to purchase my titles, anyway, and I might as well have fun giving them as gifts.

A few weeks ago, while I was thumbing through another title in the bookstore, I happened upon another writer's observation along these very lines (and a very successful writer, to boot!). He stated it this way (my paraphrase): People hear the word "writer" and they assume that anyone who writes a book is wealthy. What they don't realize is that writers actually deal in pocket change and are, by definition, busted before the first page is printed. Every time a book sells, the writer gets a few nickels and dimes, like someone actually dribbling coins into the palm. Anyone who writes a book under the influence or with delusions of wealth or grandeur should get used to being in debt and surviving on half-priced cans of tuna fish.

Indeed, writers should get used to writing out of the trunk of their car. That's where their books are going to be stashed (just look in my trunk!). And after a few months of being broke, a writer can eventually take those books to the landfill, dump them, and return home to try again.

1 comment:

Michelle Kallock Knight said...

After seeing the back of your mildewy Caprice yesterday on the way to the bowling alley- no one would buy books out of it.