Wednesday, December 16, 2009

By the Books


Sitting above my computer I have a small library shelf of books. These volumes have been important to me through the years (and I frequently buy new, up-to-date editions).

I have six of these books, to be exact: a Bible, a Biblical concordance, a dictionary, a thesaurus, Jeff Herman's Guide to Publishers and Literary Agents, and The Writer's Market. These six books form the double-trifecta supporting my writing efforts.

I'm rather serious about these six volumes, and if one of them is missing from the shelf, I go looking for it. I might yell, "Hey, who took my thesaurus?!" or "Where's my dictionary?!"

And usually a voice will call back, "Hey, don't blame me! You left it in the bathroom on the floor!"

Okay, so maybe I did . . . but that's all the more reason for people to keep their grimy little mitts off my books.

Last night, I used the Writer's Market for two hours . . . emailing editors, addressing envelopes for future submissions, perusing new and untapped markets out there which have not yet come into contact with my version of insanity. But hopefully, with the help of a few stamps, some of these editors will very soon read my work and ask, "Where have you been all my life?"

No comments: