Monday, December 21, 2009

Sunday Sabbath?


Sunday was, as it usually is for me, a free-wheeling non-stop ride. Great worship, with some very inspiring moments led the way, and then in the afternoon, I made a wide sweep in the car and visited several people in three hospitals. On the way home, I picked up my son at a football game at the park, and then finally, at home by four p.m., I ate a quick bite and prepared for the arrival of our Calvary Christmas carolers. These kids did a great job, and our whole family enjoyed them very much!!!

At last, when it was time to settle down for some writing, I made it count. I first whipped out an essay I've been writing in my head for over a month, but in an hour, I'd completed a fairly nice 2500 word first draft that I have entitled "Road Kill". I hope to sell it to an outdoor magazine.

As soon as I had completed that essay, I dove head first into an absolutely insane piece of humor that I entitled, "Chasing Tiger Woods". It's a zany piece about the products I would like to endorse (in the event other companies pull the plug on Tiger). I whipped this one out and sent it immediately to an editor at The New Yorker who seems to enjoy my insane brand of humor. So we'll see about this one . . . it's timely, but it might be just a bit too edgy for The New Yorker.

Finally, by ten, I was ready for a long-winter's nap. No more writing to do. Just sleep, and dreams of other essays, other nutty-work, that I fully intend to begin on Monday night!

No comments: