Monday, December 7, 2009

Editors


They say that we experience life in bunches of three . . . and sometimes I wonder if that's not true.

Last week, when I sent out three batches of manuscripts to editors in places as far-ranging as New York, Chicago and Nashville, I later received three batches of mail in return from another set of editors who promptly told me, "No, we don't want your writing. You stink! And we can smell you all the way over here!"

Most of these rejections were just form letters (or actual slips of paper), but there was one rejection that gave me hope. A female editor of a Virginia historical magazine wrote this nice letter on one of my manuscripts: Well done . . . unfortunately, I can't use this right now. However, please do send me more of your work. And just so we stay in touch, I'm putting you on my e-mail list.

Okay, now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout . . . an editor who loves me, and a southern-belle to boot!

Writers don't get many accolades, and few people read anymore . . . and so it doesn't take much to make a writer's heart jump a bit with excitement. This woman actually appreciates me, I thought. She sees my potential. She likes the cut of my jib. And if she likes the way I string ten words together, I wonder if we should meet on Facebook?

Nah, I've got enough friends out there. What I need is an editor who will say "Yes!" and then write me a large check.

No comments: