Friday, November 20, 2009

The Silence of the Editors


For the past six months I have been in a game of cat-and-mouse with several editors. Or, I should say, it's just been cat . . . . I email, and get no response. I phone in, leave a voice mail, and get no answer. I write, but no one writes back.

Odd, really . . . given that I've had a good relationship with these editors in the past (or is it just me?). Which sets me to wondering: Is this an editor's way of saying, "We really don't desire to work with you anymore" or "At last, we've figured out that you are a loser and we're eschewing all contact with those on our loser-list" or "Hey, you're trying to contact us, but we don't work here anymore!"

Regardless, the silence of the editors has become a real mystery to me. Perhaps some of them are reading my blog and have come to the conclusion that I am warped or need psychiatric help (or perhaps a better donut). Others may be saving their communication for one big announcement such as: "We've decided to publish all seven of the book proposals you sent us, one for each of the dwarf personalities in Snow White. And we loved your book on Dopey, especially!"

I'm not sure . . . but I do know that I'm going to keep writing. All you editors out there who have gone into hiding . . . you'll hear from me again. And I don't care what cave you're hiding in. I'll find you.

But if you did happen to get my letter of last Tuesday, why not write me back? I'll be obliged and will gladly send you a small tin of mixed nuts.

No comments: