Saturday, November 21, 2009

Lollygag


Being a writer (and a pastor/speaker) I would say that I spend a great deal of time thinking about words: written, spoken, communicated. Words are important, and words convey not only ideas but feelings, memories, and intellectual weight.

That being said, I also find myself focusing on certain words from time-to-time. And recently that word has been "lollygag". It's an odd word, really--an onomatopoetic feast for the lips that not only sounds funny in the mouth, but sounds funny coming out, too. And it's words like lollygag that help me to create (or even coin) new words for stories and essays.

For example, a person who is lazy might be considered a lollygagger. That's a noun. A person who is caught in the act might be described as lollygagging. That's a verb. Or, perhaps, the word could even be used as a gerund, as in the sentence: "Lollygagging is my favorite activity."

One thing for sure . . . I don't want to be considered a lollygagger, and I don't want to lollygag, and I don't want to do anything lollygaggingly (adverb) either. Nor, I suppose, would I want to be described as "the lollygagginglyiest person in Indiana."

That being said . . . excuse me while I go upstairs and take a nap. All of this writing is making me sleepy.

No comments: