Sunday, November 8, 2009

Hey, Don't I Know You?


Last week, while reading Mitch Albom's book, Have a Little Faith, on the return flight to Indianapolis, I overheard a conversation between the two men who were sitting behind me. I couldn't help but listen in.

One of the men turned to the other and said, "Hey, don't I know you?"

The other said, "You might know me. I am an actor. I've been on many television shows and I'm driving back to Chicago in a few days to be on Oprah. She's doing a whole series of shows about me."

The other guy seemed dumbfounded: "Really!! Holy Cow. I thought I knew you!"

So anyway, this guy waxes on for the next hour about all of his television roles, his career highlights, his up-n-coming appearance on Oprah, etc. And the guy sitting next to him is buying all of it.

Finally, when the plane lands, I get an opportunity to look behind me. The "actor" is some kid who looks to be about eighteen years old. But he's clearly no actor. When I stand up, he looks at me and smiles as if to say, "Can you believe these people? They'll believe anything!"

Anyway . . . it was quite a story, and the kid was a great sideshow (though he, obviously, was no actor at all). He was just making great flight conversation and seeing how far he could push the buttons and the boundaries.

But you know, people believe and see what they want . . . but I'm still waiting for that person to turn to me and ask, "Hey, don't I know you?"

Lord, are they going to hear some tales! Not everyone knows this, but I was once the king of Lithuania, and I am heir to the throne of Transylvania, and I once bit the head off of a lion, just for fun.
Should be a great flight.

No comments: