Friday, November 6, 2009

Back to Old New York


A couple of months ago I received an invitation in the mail from The New Yorker magazine. They were inviting me to subscribe for a mere $25 a year (26 issues). How could I pass that offer up? So, I subscribed.

Now, I'm receiving The New Yorker via mail again, and I'm enjoying every issue. Great essays, book reviews, stories, poems, and more. There's little doubt that this is still the top American general interest publication available.

I also continue to submit my tired, worn and weary efforts to the magazine in hope that some editor there will say, "Hey, here's some idiot in Brownsburg, Indiana who wrote a great piece. Let's buy it!"

After submitting to the magazine for the past thirty years (yes, 30!) I think I've earned at least one acceptance. And that would just pay for the postage I've used. The way I figure it, I've shelled out at least $1000 over the past 30 years in postage, envelopes, paper and ink . . . just for a shot at appearing in the pages of this one magazine.

So, come on New Yorker . . . make an old writer's day. Say "yes" already! If you don't, I'm going to go broke buying stamps.

No comments: