Saturday, August 6, 2011

Scrollwork

Last December I created a Christmas story on a scroll.  Since then, I've had many comments about the story . . . particularly the format.  "What a unique concept," one person told me.  "I loved the scroll."

Yes, the scroll was fun to create.  Glad I did it.  (And if YOU want a copy of this story, write me and I'll be glad to send it along.  No joking!  And yes, that applies to my growing readership in the Netherlands and Russia!)

But since the scroll was fun to create, and so many people have loved it, I actually hate to admit that I got the idea in the bathroom.  The idea for the scroll was sitting around in front of me all of these years, but I'd not given the scroll its due attention.  The scroll is always there (and doesn't it make you mad when it's NOT there!?  Why do women always blame men for not replacing it?).

I frequently write down my thoughts on the scroll.  I don't often have scrap paper handy when I get the next big idea, but the bathroom is a great place to sit and think.  That famous sculpture of "The Thinker" was taken right out of the pages of the Bed, Bath & Beyond catalogue and many of the most world-changing ideas have been wrought in the bathroom and first conceived on the scroll.  Gotta be true.

I don't know if I'll be creating another scroll story any time soon . . . I have another unique idea for this Christmas and have already written my Christmas Eve tale.  But I do value the scroll.

However, if or when you read it, please overlook the fact that my scroll is not perforated.  It's one continuous sheet.  And I do hope you'll read the story in some location other than the bathroom.

No comments: