Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Here and There

For the third time in three years I have read Marshall Goldsmith's excellent book: What Got You Here Won't Get You There.  Every time I read this book, I gain something new from it.  It is one of those books that can help any business, any organization, or any family or individual navigate the unsettling changes that life brings.

Perhaps one of the reasons this book speaks to me so fluidly is because I've never gotten anywhere.  I wasn't anywhere yesterday, and don't feel I'm getting anywhere today.  I'm trying to find that chapter entitled: "What Got You In This Pickle Won't Get You Out of This Pickle . . . So You'd Better Bite the Pickle Now!"

I love getting advice from people who have been somewhere.  I also love getting advice from people who are going somewhere.  I've never been either place, but some day I plan to be somewhere other than here.  I used to be there, but I didn't like it, and that's why I'm reading the book about getting some place else.  Of course, as Goldsmith describes, as soon as I get there, it will be my new here, and I'll have to start thinking about getting someplace else.  God knows, no one wants to be here very long!  It's best to make plans to get there.

That's why I like Goldsmith's book.  Here's been everywhere.  He speaks in 200 cities a year and actually lives there far more than he lives here.  So he knows what he's talking about. I would never buy a book from someone who just knew about being here.  I'd want the sage advice on how to get there.

Naturally, you'd have to read Goldsmith's book to truly understand what I'm talking about.  Are you following any of this? 

But I guarantee . . . once you understand these principles, you'll never be here again.

No comments: