Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Poking on Facebook

In the past year I've been invited to join various Facebook groups of writers, bloggers, and social gatherings of literary types.  Many magazines and publishing groups also have Facebook groups who, supposedly, follow the various editions and get "insider" information about the magazines and writers.

I've never joined.

My reason:  I'm not sure what the Facebook "poke" is all about.

In the past year I've noticed a small icon that shows up on my Facebook screen.  It's says, "You've been poked."  I have?  I didn't feel a thing!  Last time I had a colonoscopy, they put me under.

What is this poke, anyway?  It seems ubiquitous.  I've been poked by family and friends alike.  Sometimes I'm given the option of poking back.  Should I poke back, or turn the other cheek?

Last night I was poked by an old high school flame, a real hottie back in 1979.  I didn't know if I should tell my wife about this.  "Honey, I don't know how to tell you this, but I got poked last night by an old high school flame.  Is it okay if I poke her back?"  If I respond, what could this poke lead to?

You see what I mean?

Seems like Facebook could create a better nomenclature.  How about you've been prodded, or you've been tickled?  Or, perhaps, you've been punched, pushed, or provoked?  If Facebook wants to stick with something intriguing, how about you've been felt up or you've got some idiot who's trying to get in touch with you but doesn't have your cell phone number

Seems to me all this poking is a bit like legalized stalking.  You can poke people all day and get away with it.  How many times can a person press the poke button without police intervention?

As for me, I've been poked plenty, but I've never poked back.  Until I figure this out, I'm not moving a muscle.

No comments: