Friday, August 26, 2011

Recording Studio

This week I spent several hours recording my sixth CD . . . a Christmas album featuring a blend of holiday stories.  I've always given 100% of my CD royalties to missions, so I hope this one will be a hot commodity come November.

Recording a CD is tedious work, however.  There are "takes" and "retakes" and, after several hours of using the voice, the vocal chords can become a bit strained.  I always begin my CD productions sounding like James Earl Jones, and end my sessions sounding like Richard Simmons in hot pants.  After a recording session, my wife wants to know if I've been drinking.  (Yes, but only lemon tea . . . great for the chords.)

Oddly enough, I also had several questions about these stories during the production.  "Did you write these?"  "How long did it take you to write them?"  "Where do you find the time to write?"

This last question is a common one:  where is the time?  Answer:  Time for writing is made, created, culled out, reserved, sacrosanct time.  I've always felt folks make time for the things that are important to them.  If watching 3-4 hours of TV a day is important, people will find the time for this.  If it's time in the gym, folks will create this time.  And if it's writing . . . well, there are enough hours in the day to find a few minutes to create an essay, a poem, a chapter, a sermon.

Looking back, I'm not sure how I have found the time to create six CD collections . . . but I did.  It also helps to drink a lot.  Lemon tea . . . that is.

No comments: