Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Diary Discovery

Last week I discovered a used book that offered some new delights.  I found a copy of All My Road Before Me: The Diary of C.S. Lewis 1922-1927.  Despite the fact that I have read nearly all of C.S. Lewis's books, I had no idea this one existed.  This is, of course, an early glimpse of C.S. Lewis when he was in high school and college.

After a quick perusal of this book, I realized that Lewis was concerned with academic pursuits, writing papers, discussing philosophy with friends.  When I was in high school and college I was most concerned with shooting hoops and writing weird tales.  I was working hard to keep Becky from stalking me.  Thank God we didn't have cell phones in those days, she would have called me incessantly. 

Like Lewis, I have my own journals.  But I can't imagine publishing them.  I doubt people would be interested in knowing how much licorice I ate on August 20, 1979, or if I found that Cracker Jack ring on September 4, 1980. 

I'll keep my journals stashed in the bookshelf and save the world this sneak peek.  If I want to read about a real life, I'll keep reading Lewis's diary.

No comments: