Sunday, September 26, 2010

Signed, Anonymous


A few weeks ago I wrote a column about the anonymous letters I have received over the years. I wish I could tell you that some of these were from women inviting me to secret destinations, but, alas, none of them are quite that exciting.

I did, however, receiving quite an outpouring of letters from other pastors and readers. One came from a friend who wrote to tell me that she could recall sending me a letter years ago, but as she remembers it, the letter was positive in nature, and she did sign her name. (She's correct . . . she did sign her name, and she is, indeed, a positive person!)

Another letter came from a couple up north whom I've never met. They wrote to say that I should not take anonymous letters to heart (I don't!) and that I should remain as positive as I seem to be in my columns (okay, I'll stay positive . . . darn it).

The funniest response, however, came in the form of another letter. It read simply:

Dear Todd,
You think you are funny, don't you?
Signed,
Anonymous

Normally I would just toss a letter like this. But I've been wrecking my brains trying to figure out who the wise-cracker is. And when I do, I'm going to call your house and leave an obscene message with heavy breathing on your voice mail!


No comments: