Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Googled


Last night, on a lark, I typed my own name into a Google search. Had more than 85,000 hits. I had no idea people cared so much!

What's interesting, however, is that, the further I dug into the search, the deeper I went into the mix, the stranger my world became. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. Here are some things I discovered about me.

First, I found the photo above. This is me at annual conference working in the warehouse. Who took this photo, and why, and how did it show up on the Internet?

Among the oddest discoveries I also found:

A marriage counselor who recommended my book, Before You Say "I Do", as his #1 premarital resource. I'm hip with that, daddy. Keep on counseling!

A spin off of a parody I wrote many years ago that I had entitled, "The Prayer of Jezebel", which was poking fun at the best-selling, The Prayer of Jabez. Evidently, this dude liked my humor (though few do) and he thought I should have been given an award.

A blog, THE BUDGET SAVVY BRIDE, which was giving away free copies of my book, Your Beautiful Wedding on Any Budget. Ah, yes, the free giveaway. I'm intimately acquainted with this technique. I give all of my books away, since no one buys them.

And finally, I discovered an entire blog series devoted to another parody I had written on Joel Osteen. Evidently, this blogger had taken my Wittenburg Door parody and turned it into a manifesto poking fun at the happy, young reverend. I may have been the keynote writer, but this blogger took it a bit too far. Joel may be happy and successful and worth a billion, but I don't hate him. He just sells more books than I do.

This is me . . . and this is my brain on Google.

No comments: