Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My Audience With the Pope


In a very backward way, I've been given an audience with Pope Benedict. Recently, I received word that my book, $5 Youth Ministry, had been selected as one of the Top-40 Youth Ministry titles for Catholics. I guess this means that Catholics are experiencing a budget crunch, too.

At any rate, I found it interesting that Catholics would regard my book as one of the best of 2010. I'm delighted, actually. If Pope Benedict was in the area, I'd kiss his ring.

This little kudo also reminded me of some other brushes with fame I've had over the years . . . strange situations that have landed me in the lap of celebrity.

Among these:

Presiding at a wedding attended by Phil Donahue and Marlo Thomas, various Soap Opera stars, and at the reception, reading letters written by Elton John and Michael Jackson.

Presiding at a wedding for John Sloan. John is Jerry Sloan's son. And Jerry Sloan is the head basketball coach of the Utah Jazz. This was also the smallest wedding I've officiated. Just me, the bride, the groom, and the church custodian, who served as a witness.

I've had other brushes with celebrity, too . . . but I'm not one to brag. That, and I really don't care. No, I really don't!

Now, where did I put that little black book with all the phone numbers?!

No comments: