Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Carving Knives


I've been enjoying a Library of America Classic: The Collected Stories of Raymond Carver. Carver is, without doubt, one of the preeminent American short story writers of the 20th century, and I first became acquainted with him in college. Now that he's dead, he's an icon.

His stories always cut like a knife, although his language was tight and spare.

A couple of weeks ago I also finished a very fine story of my own that I entitled "Giraffe". I think it's one of my best. Well, I like it anyway.

I'll be putting Carver on the shelf again soon, but this is a book I'll be reading for years to come, taking it down and enjoying the great writing over and over again.

I just hope I can find the book when I want it. I have a tendency to lose things these days.

No comments: