Sunday, September 19, 2010

Say Hey to Ray


I recently purchased a first edition of Ray Bradbury's final short story collection: One More for the Road. Unlike Bradbury's first two collections, this one was a little thin on memorable stories, but Ray is still one of my all-time favorite writers.

Among my personal classics are "Uncle Eanar"--the tale of a grotesque, bat-like creature who, at Halloween, would come out and pose as a kite. (Yes, odd, but believe me, it's a fantastic story.) I have also read, re-read, and re-read yet again standard tales like "The Veldte", "The Golden Apples of the Sun", and "The Lake". Bradburys' stories are great for the soul.

I've also got several Bradbury novels on my shelves and a number of books about Ray Bradbury--though nothing yet biographical in nature.

There's something ingenious about a writer who can take Laurel and Hardy, transport them to the nearest star, and make a story about their comedy tour comeback. Who but Ray B. could do it?

No comments: