Saturday, September 11, 2010

My Royalty


Sometimes royalty is ugly. In fact, the royalty checks I've received of late have been of ogre quality. UGLY!

But that's what happens when books don't sell. And my books have never sold. Hence, the ugly royalty.

Still, for what it's worth, and since I've been writing books, I've given 100% of my book royalties to God's work. Not 10%. Not 50%. Not 90%. But 100%. That's everything.

It sounds like great generosity when I write it that way, but in actuality, it's not anything transformative. It's just what I do. I've given to many missions, to people in need, for special projects. I figure, since the royalties can't transform my life, perhaps they can help someone else. That's why I give.

It would be nice though . . . someday over the rainbow . . . to actually receive a royalty check that amounts to something. A check that is big, bright, and beautiful. I'd like to see what it feels like to give something BIG.

But as for now, I'm stuck with ugly here. It's a greenback. But it's a poor excuse for royalty.

No comments: