Monday, February 2, 2009

Super Bowl Reading

Last year, I remember that I read Jeff Yeager's book, The Cheapskate's Guide to Saving Money, in its entirety, during the Super Bowl. Last night, during the game, I finished reading The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill, by Mark Bittner. I have realized for years that I don't have enough attention span to watch any game from beginning to end, so I have to read or write to keep my sanity. I enjoyed this book, and for several reasons.

Last spring, when our family traveled to San Francisco on vacation, we rode the cable cars several times. Each time we passed the sign for Telegraph Hill, I would say, "Look, kids, that's the hill where the wild parrots gather."

"Dad, what are you talking about?"

"You know," I'd say, "the story about the man who adopted all of the wild parrots. They made a movie about him, a documentary that won an Academy Award last year. And there's a book, too. And I want to read it."

"Dad, you are so lame. A real loser," Chelsey told me.

"Take me Chinatown," Logan insisted. "I want to eat large, heaping portions of rice, pounds of it, along with two whole chickens and a rooster!"

"Don't you want to see the parrots? Don't you want to learn something from the lovely man?"

"Just buy your book and read it," my wife insisted. "Leave us alone."

I did. And I did. During the Super Bowl. Thank you very much.

No comments: