Friday, February 20, 2009

A Funny Thing Happened to Me on the Way To . . .

Generally, on Fridays I try to write for four or five hours. But this morning was different. I had to drive downtown Indianapolis to the State Board of Health to obtain a birth certificate so I could apply for a passport so I could take a 25th anniversary cruise with Becky so we could . . . well, you get the picture.

But listen, have you been to the office of the State Board of Health recently? Man, I'm telling you, I could have contracted any number of deadly or infectious diseases just being in that place. And I'm not kidding.

The experience was just too rich, too absorbing, too hilarious for me not to write about it. I sat in the office waiting for my birth certificate and just watched and listened. The people. The conversations. The inexhaustible number of story lines. I got home and just had to write it up. So that's what I'm working on this afternoon (which will be an article or a blog for another time).

My State Board of Health Experience! I'm just glad to be alive.

No comments: