Monday, February 23, 2009

Detours

Saturday and Sunday nights I had to take a detour, a side trip, a quick vacation. I was growing weary working on my book manuscript for GROUP, so I decided to focus on some science fiction for a few hours. I did manage to dredge up three stories that I'd been working on for some time, and I sent these out to some science fiction/fantasy magazines.

Probably nothing will come of it, but at least it was fun. I've published a fair number of science fiction stories over the past four years, but nothing spectacular as far as recognition goes.

I also keep thinking about a science fiction tale concerning a forty-something male pastor who wants to be a super hero in a galaxy far, far away. A guy who is married to an ageing school teacher who is taking instruction in space flight. They decide, after twenty-five years of marriage, to go on an expedition to another galaxy, dig rocks, and categorize these for a museum. They have lots of fun together labeling the rocks and then they get jiggy wid'it and decide to save a planet from extinction. I wonder . . . would a thing like that sell?

No comments: