Monday, February 25, 2008

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

Now and again, people ask me: "How do you manage to find time to write so much?"

Well, here goes.

First, writing is like anything else in life. How does a person have time to watch an entire Colts game on T.V., or have time to watch a one hour television show every night of the week? How does a person have time to drive an hour through rush hour traffic every morning and afternoon? How does a person have time to keep a house in order, or clean windows?

Like anything else, it's just taking the time to do the things we like to do. For me, that has always been writing. In fact, I like the process of writing more than I like actually producing a written work. I like writing more than reading. I like to write more than I like to watch television. My wife might even say that I like writing more than I like to . . . well, that's her opinion.

Actually, writing is a pretty simple equation. I do it every day. Sometimes I write early in the mornings. Sometimes it's late at night. There are some days when I will write (yes, actually write) for eight, ten, twelve hours or more without stopping (except to refuel, refresh, etc.). Sometimes I write for fun, sometimes to meet a deadline, and sometimes I write to see how well I can write it. It's not so much about frequency as it is about establishing a pattern of time and space.

No comments: