Monday, February 18, 2008

Reading Keillor

I think I have all the books that Garrison Keillor--host of the Prairie Home Companion--has written. His most recent title, Pontoon, is another in the Lake Woebegon series that has entertained me for years. When I travel long distances, I always take along a thick supply of Keillor CDs to listen to. I once drove all the way to and from Knoxville, TN with Keillor barking at me from the dashboard.

Keillor loves to talk about boats, and the humorous things that can happen on the water, and I've had my share of these tales, too.

Some years ago Becky and I went sailing with a friend who had purchased a small keelboat. We nearly capzised sailing out of the marina, and our friend nearly knocked himself unconscious on several occassions when the boom swung back and hit him in the side of the head. To keep from being in harm's way, I lay down on the deck and sailed from a prone position.

Still, it was all I could do to keep from standing up on the bow, holding out my arms and screaming: "I'm the king of the world!"

Can't wait till spring!

2 comments:

Mark W said...

Have you ever noticed how your daily life seems to sometimes highlight the things you have been reading? I just finished reading an accounting of Washington crossing the Delaware, and BAM! there's Todd on the bow of a sailboat.

Unknown said...

You can't wait til spring?

I just diagnosed myself with Seasonal Affective Disorder. That means winter is a medical condition.